

In case you can't read a 5 year old's handwriting, the letter says, "Dear Mrs. Linda. I am sorry for being bad at circle time. I will be better. Love Bryant."
The letter was written tonight before dinner... at Bryant's own insistence. You see, every day when I pick him up at school I ask him how his day was. Then I always ask him if he got a star on his behaviour chart (his teacher gives the kids stars at the end of the day if they've been good. When you get 10 stars you get a prize. Bryant lives for the stars. Last month he got one every day!)
So today when I asked him my normal questions he said, "My day was good mom. I got a star." And I replied my normal, "Good job Bryant... I'm very proud of you." But once we were buckled in the car and on the way home Bryant said, "Mom, I can not tell a lie." I said, "That's good Bryant." He then said, "No mom, I told a lie. I didn't get a star today. I didn't get a star and Mrs. Linda actually (his new favorite word) took yesterday's star away too." He started crying and having a total breakdown.
OMG- I was shocked. Not so shocked at the lie. But shocked that he was SOOO bad that he had a star taken away. According to Bryant he was goofing off with his friend, Patrick, during circle time (are you reading this Katie?.) They weren't paying attention and Bryant talked back to Mrs. Linda when she aked him to pay attention. She doesn't take any flack (good for her) so she put him in time out and took his star (today's) away. Then he mocked her and said in high pitched voice "Bryant go to time out, you lost your star." He then lost yesterday's star.
But, because he's a first born... over achieving child... he's had an absolute meltdown over the whole incident. Zac and I were pretty tough on him too. I want to instill in him NOW that neither Zac or I will tolerate bad behaviour at school. Teachers deserve respect. So, we asked him what he thought his punishment should be. He said he though he should write Mrs. Linda a letter saying he was sorry and then he should go to his room. We agreed.
His letter was painstakingly written and he cried for about 20 minutes. I hope he learned his lesson. Honestly, I think it was probably harder on Zac and I to "stay tough"when Bryant was crying than any of it was on Bryant...
Any thoughts or suggestion from any of you more "seasoned" parents?

3 comments:
First, I am so moving into you housing development! It sounds like the Mayberry of Boise!
Second, How sweet of your little boy! I think that he was his own worst punishment. How cute! It sounds like mom and dad raised a good one there!
Oh, and for the Holy Shit comment on my blog - I KNOW - Holy Shit! I cannot believe he is home either! It is so unreal how things happened.
Keep posting. I love them! Jill
Derek's fav word is actually too!!
Dude he is such a sweet kid!! At least he knows when he's done something wrong.
Derek's teacher says he is good in class... I asked her if she wanted to visit our house for the day?? LOL
Derek has a bee chart in his class...you change colors when you've done something bad....so far no changes..so we've made a chart for home..and let me tell you he is better..
only because his punishment is no TV!!! GOOD LORD the world will end if he can't watch TV!!
STAY STRONG!!! It's tough but if it's not done...we'll be the ones having meltdowns!!! :)
No suggestions - sounds like you handled it well. Poor little guy...sounds like he learned his lesson.
Post a Comment