I’m a BIG BELIEVER of giving handmade gifts to people. I like making handmade gifts for three reasons:

- Because They Can Be Personalized- When I make a gift for someone, I always keep in mind what is important to them or about them. Whether it's a name on the gift, remembering their favorite colors, or making something of a sentimental nature, a handmade gift is one way that I feel that I can show I care.
- Because Handmade Gifts Are Unique- I know when I give a handmade gift, it’s not anything anyone else is going to give them. I know my gift is unique and different. I know that I can make the right gift for just the right person.
- Because The Gift Can Become a Family Treasure- All the gifts I make are made from the heart. I make them as keepsakes… often using photos or letters than can be family heirlooms in generations to come. I feel that even something as simple as a crocheted blanket can remind someone of my love and friendship.
Unfortunately, a recent experience has soured me.
A couple of weeks ago I was working on a gift for someone suffering from a great loss (I’m trying to make this very generic as to not hurt her feelings if she happens to read this). My mom, my friend Christy, and Christy’s mom were with me while I worked on it. My mom actually said to me, “Jenny- you and Christy are the two kindest people I know. You could be working on projects for yourself and yet you’re sitting here for 12 hours working on a gift for someone else. You’re both so nice.”
I think most people who know me would say I am extremely thoughtful. I don’t do things for people because I feel I have to… rather I do things for people because I want to.
So in this particular case, I was working on the gift. That morning I almost ran to my craft table because I was so excited to get started on my project. I had painstakingly and carefully selected the materials. I remember feeling so "giddy" when I found just the right color choices that would coordinate with the feelings I wanted to evoke. Everything that I wanted for the gift to make it a “gift of lifetime,” I found! I hoped she'd love it as much as I loved making it for her.
The gift came out perfectly. Everyone who saw it raved about it. They all said they couldn’t believe
what a great gift that was… a gift of remembrance. A gift to that would cause tears of joy, sadness and also of love for her. A gift to show I cared and that in some small way I recognized the loss and feelings she stated she was having.
I sent the gift by mail. I carefully wrapped it and wrote a heartfelt letter to this person who (in my opinion) needed to know that someone cared. In my mind I imagined watching her elation as she opened that gift.
Unfortunately I never heard anything. Not even a “thanks I got the gift.”
I finally checked with the post office and learned the gift had been delivered. I got up the nerve to send an email to see if she had received the gift. I received confirmation from her… she had received the gift LAST WEEK and she appreciated it. She said a few generic “thank you’s”, but still not at all what I had expected. 
I guess that’s where I am torn. I feel like I’m on a roller coaster ride where my strong hope and faith collided with unexpected reality. My expectations, desires and dreams for this gift were shattered. I have a strong feeling of disappointment… I suppose it's a natural result of this experience.
I sit here questioning her actions… even if she hated it… couldn’t she have at least let me know it arrived? Considering how obvious it was that I had spent a substantial amount of time on the gift (not to mention money)… couldn’t she have at least given me more than a general “thank you.” Even if she hated it… couldn’t she at least pretend the gift was great? Even if she loved it... did she have to group its importance up there with the generic Hallmark Teddy Bear she received?
And even worse… Now I’m questioning myself. Should I have spent the time making that gift when I could have sent a crappy store bought gift that she obviously would have liked just as much? Did I even need to send a gift at all? Did I give too much of myself when making the gift? Should I only make gifts for people who I KNOW will appreciate them?
Quite frankly, I know I’ll continue to make handmade gifts…irregardless of this experience and others… handmade gifts are what I love… it’s who I am.
But if I happen to send you one… my friends... promise me you’ll at least pretend you’re thankful!

7 comments:
I am so sorry you got yrou feelings hurt Jenny- It plain out stinks to get your feelings hurt!!!!! Big hearted people seem to get stepped on the most!
Sorry darlin -
maybe if she is suffering great loss - she did not have the ability emotionally to handle this right?? I am not sure -
I just love you and I am sorry you feel sad:)
Aw man! That stinks!! I like to make handmade stuff for people sometimes too, and always love to get their reactions.
However, like JuJu said, maybe this person just isn't "there" emotionally right now, and in being preoccupied in her own grief just couldn't bring herself to give a proper "thank you"?
How about this, I'LL say a big, warm, heartfelt THANK YOU JENNY!! for yor friend until she's truly up to the task. You just seem like such a kind and caring person that I don't want you to feel sad or let down.
(Buck up, little camper!!)
Oh my sweet! That is very disappointing and I have had a similar experience. I vowed not to make the person anything else.
I feel your pain and frustration and I just want to remind you that I have loved every gift you and Bryant have ever made my family!!
Thank you for all the love and thoughtfulness.
-Teri
That SUUUUUUUCKS. You are nice. Keep being the great, nice person you are. Don't let another's reactions dictate the person you are.
That still SUUUUUUCKS.
Shame on her for making you feel less than. Feel sorry for her that she could not see how you would have spent time away from your son for her. Hope that she sees it later and passes on niceness to someone else when they need it most.
Ugh. Some people's kids.
Oh, Jenny, I hate it when that happens. I can't speak for you, but I know for myself, I feel used, cranky, pissed off, and like I've been walked over...taken for granted...when stuff like that happens.
Please don't let that bad experience sour you though. I LOVE the stuff you make and do. I apprecite you and everything you do and how thoughtful you are.
Hang in there...
p.s. talk about passing the Kleenex, I balled through your birthing story...it inspired me to write something for Riley...mine is not nearly as much of a tear jerker as yours is though.
Mandy
aww im sorry jenny i love all the stuff you make even if its not for me! like the t-ball poaster you made garrett we just love it i am still trying to figure out how to hang it he wont let me take it off of his "specail shelf" yet!! sorry about your loss of thank you's jenny love ya... cass:)
I'm sorry you're feelings got hurt. Mine would have too.. I did that for Christmas one year and they were like thanks... THANKS!!!
WHAT Thanks... do you know how hard I worked on that!! ( well thta's what I wanted to say anyway:)
HUGS to you
Post a Comment