Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I can't believe the "gall" of him...

Well, Zac is ending today with one less bodily organ. After several more trips to the ER and Urgent Care, they finally decided to do surgery today to see what what going on in Zac's abdomen.

Going into surgery, the surgeon was 95% sure it was Zac's gallbladder even though all his tests kept coming back normal. Sure enough, his gallbladder was badly infected. She took pictures (which I'll spare you) of his infected gallbladder. Egads! She also did a little "exploring" while she was in his abdomen and she didn't see anything else that could have been causing all Zac's pain. So, hopefully the gallbladder was the cause of everything.


Surgery started VERY early this morning.

The medication to help Zac relax before surgery was working quite good. Notice the extreme smirk on his face. He was acting pretty sassy and had all the nurses laughing.

Of course they put the leg compressors on Zac for surgery. He hadn't ever seen them before... and he wasn't real fond of them. (On a side note, I keep teasing Zac that he looks like he's laying on a pee pad in this picture. It really was a blanket... but nonetheless, I think he looks like they're prepping him for "accidents")

In this picture of Zac as he's getting ready to leave for surgery, you can really see how distended and swollen his belly is. He looks 9 months pregnant with twins. Poor guy...

They kept me updated as to Zac progress in the O.R. with this cool pager. It each stage of the surgery they would send me a message. I thought it was super cool and it helped keep me calm. What great new technology!

Here's the patient after surgery. He's already starting to look better.

He had ice packs on his stomach for the swelling and pain after surgery... but he says the pain from his incisions is MUCH better than the pain he was having before surgery.

Here's Zac this afternoon. Look at how much smaller his stomach is already! I hope his recovery is quick.


Anyone who knows Zac will enjoy this story. Zac's pretty modest... so when they told him he'd have to take off all his clothes for surgery... including his underwear... he was a little panicked. He kept asking me questions like, "do you think they look at men's "packages" when they're under anesthesia?" I told him I doubted it but he was fixated on the topic. So, after surgery when he was in recovery he was pretty doped up. Alot of what he was saying didn't make much sense. But out of nowhere he decided to try and make sense. He stated very loudly "the anesthesiologist admired my "package" and the doctor was intimidated by it." OMG. I could have died laughing. I doubt very much they even looked at his "package" but in his mind he's the fricken rock star of the hospital. He'll die of embarrassment when I remind him of what he said tomorrow when he's more with it. :)

11 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my, Jennyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!! What an ordeal for Zac! I am so lovin the song and the pics! Only a scrapbooker would take pics of this! You are my hero!

So happy he is okay!

Lark said...

I am so glad they figured out the problem. Zac does look better this afternoon. Hooray!
I have had a good laugh with you over the "package" incident. The things you say when you are doped up are some of the best jokes/stories ever.
I will call you guys later and try to get something set up for getting together soon. Love you guys,
Teri

Anonymous said...

Hey tell Zac that admiration of his "package" is the least of his worries!! Glad he is doing better!

Katie

HollyGee said...

Zac look so much better going out. I can guarantee you that we WON'T remember the "package" speech.

I had those leg things on for a couple of days after my operation and I HATED them, they made my legs sweat so bad.

Glad everything is OK now:)

Anonymous said...

Hey that day looks like so much fun. J/k. Wish I could have been there with you so you didn't have to wait alone. Lets try and get together on Sunday maybe. Austin had to work on Saturday. Loves ya.

SUZ

Soltana said...

Glad everything is ok now. The package story is too funny.

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Very glad the surgery went well and that Zac's doing better.
Here's to a quick recovery!
M & N

Anonymous said...

Dad can hardly wait to see what kind of a shirt he gets next. Lots of possibilities here. The package comments are right in line with his New Years serenade the year you met.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Believe me, I can testify what 9 months prego with twins looks like!! Zac is pretty close to the same look. He looks like he is in pain and the difference after is amazing! Glad to know all is well now and that he is on the road to recovery.
Christy

JuJu - said...

Holy smokes girly -

I am glad he is OK and hope he is 100% back to his good ole self in no time;)

Julia:)

Michelle Smiles said...

Glad he is okay but man that comment from him cracked me up!