Yep, that our new dog.
Any dog can give you love, but there's something about a RESCUED dog that's very different.

In a matter of weeks this big ole' sweetie has totally stolen our hearts and has proven to be the best friend Bryant could ever have.
And in saying all that, the fact that he's been sick since the day we got him home has weighed heavily on us... both financially and emotionally.Yesterday we took our 2nd emergency trip to the Veterinary Hospital/Clinic. I've always thought I was one of those people who wouldn't put alot of money into "saving" a pet. Honestly, I've never been able to understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars to keep a pet alive.
Well, I guess I was wrong... I do understand. I can't turn my back. I am HAPPILY paying to get our dog well and keep him alive.
Here he is on the way to the Vet. Hospital last night. Our 'Big Sweetie' was choking, throwing up and having an overall hard time breathing. He hadn't eaten more than 3 bowls of dog food since we adopted him.
He had to be quarantined and brought in through the back door of the hospital/clinic!
Apparently he has a super contagious respiratory bacteria which is closing off his airway. His cough is affecting his throat which is causing him to choke and throw up. He's unable to eat because of his throat (which the vet said is good because otherwise he would aspirate). Poor guys has lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
Here he is- so scared to be on the examination table (not to mention he had a thermometer up his butt!)

He was given an I.V., 2 injections of antibiotics, 1 injection of a pain medication, 1 injection of a cough medication and sent home with 5 prescriptions!
He gets his medication four times a day. He has to take it with food (so that his stomach isn't upset)... we give it to him in bread and peanut butter.

Here's "the gold"... these prescriptions cost more than what I spent on groceries each month!
So, I guess I would ask you to please pray for our dog...
our Big ole' Sweetie.
Pray for the 4th member of family who has taught us so much in the last 2 weeks. He's taught us to...
• Make a big fuss greeting loved ones when they come home.
• Always take the opportunity to go for a joyride just for the fun of it.
• Allow the fresh air and wind in your face to become pure ecstasy.
• Let others know when they have invaded your territory.
• Take lots of naps and always stretch before getting back up.
• Run, romp and play daily just for fun.
• Thrive on attention and like it when people touch you.
• Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
• Stop and lie on your back in the grass on warm, sunny days.
• Drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree on hot days.
• Show happiness by dancing around and wagging your entire body.
• There’s no need to pout — just run right back and make friends.
• A long walk is a simple thing to take joy in.
• Eating with gusto and enthusiasm is OK.
• Being loyal is of great importance.
• You should never pretend to be something you are not.
• If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
• When someone else is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and show them you care.
Dogs really are a man's best friend!

PS: If you're wondering why I never call the dog by a name it's because he has about 5. Poor thing is probably going to have multiple personalities from all the names we call him. We're still trying to narrow down a name (he responds to anything... but mostly to anything Bryant calls him... and Bryant calls him "Big ole' Sweetie.")

8 comments:
My dad once (like 10 years ago)spent thousands to save his dog (who is a stray he rescued) when she was hit by a car. She's still around today at 14, and my dad takes her everywhere. Best friends are good to have.
Praying your dog gets better soon, and that he remains healthy afterwards.
Did I mention that I effin LOVE you! I, too, was one of those "what in the world would they spend THAT kind of $ on a DOG to save it" people. Until I HAD a sick dog. Murry, our shihtzu, had pneumonia at age 2. He was in the Emergency vet hospital for a WEEK. Poor thing had to sleep in an oxegyn tank. After many perscriptions, he got better... we were told by family and friends to put him down, but could not do it. Thanks GOD we did not listen. We call him our million dollar dog... alive for FIVE YEARS now.
I am proud of you for trying to do what you can to give your boy a chance. Another reason why JENNY ROX MY SOX!
I am so sorry your baby is sick. I understand about paying money to keep your dog alive. They are wonderful companions. I am also bummed your dog wound up with kennel cough. That is such a hard one to get rid of. It is also very common in shelters. It was a big worry for us when we were looking for a second dog in the shelters around here. We hope all the best for Big ole' Sweetie.
I'm sorry about your dog. Hope he is better soon. That is a lot of money to be spending.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. Elvis was sick a couple weeks ago as well. I came home to find his face swollen the size of a golf ball. So we took him to the vet that night and come to find out he had an abscessed tooth. I can only imagine how much pain he must have been in. Several prescriptions later, a new credit card bill (uuuggghhh), and one dog with 4 less teeth, we have our happy Elvis back.
My mom too suggested I have him put down. Buat after having him for 12 years I couldn't bear to do it...especially for something like teeth.
It sounds like he has kennel cough...is that right?? Elvis had kennel cough about a year ago as well. I'm not sure how he got it, but thankfully it wasn't that severe.
We will keep Big Ole Sweetie in our hearts and prayers as well. Good luck!
Mandy
Oh how could you not just love that face? He just looks like a big old lover - I want to take him home.
Hope he is feeling better soon. I hate when one of my pets is sick because you know they don't understand and just look to us to make them feel better. Poor guy.
I am so sorry about your dog! Since Jan, we've spent over a grand on Boone and are looking at having to put Simba down, when Big Ol Sweetie is better we wil have to get him and Boone together. Love Pam
Post a Comment